Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Sometimes Christmas is More Difficult than Joyful

At work I always appreciate that someone remembers to pray for those that have a difficult time during the holidays. Anyone who has lost a loved one during that time is reminded of it each year the holiday comes around. Probably all of us at one time or another have experienced a time in our lives when the holidays were more sad than joyful. For me, it was after losing our third child. Celebrating a holiday that's all about a baby is constant reminder of what's missing from your family. I remember crying through a few Christmas Eve Masses. Being around family is difficult too when you are hurting so much but feel the need to put on a good face for everyone elses sake. I remember leaving holiday events feeling so exhausted. So this time of year whether you are struggling with a loss, having a difficult time with the holiday, or simply exhausted from shopping and baking, take comfort in the words from todays gospel:

Jesus said to the crowds:
“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.” Mt 11:28-30
A priest taught me a great meditation that I often do myself, that simply is to sit in the presence of God and then imagine yourself resting your head on his chest. Try it tonight! Best feeling in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment