Pages

Monday, December 2, 2013

It's about the Destination

The scriptures today are all about God's house, eternity, heaven. I work in an industry where we are faced with death on a regular basis. In one way, it's a difficult thing to lose your friends over and over again, but in another way it is a blessing because it keeps me so focused on the truth of what life really is about. This is not the end. It's easy when we are healthy, everything is going fine to lose sight of the finish line. When we lose our focus, we can start wandering and get off track, and before we know it we can't even see the road anymore and can't figure out why we can't find any meaning to what we're doing. But then a friend crosses the finish line, and while it's difficult to face the fact that they won't be running the race beside us anymore, it's the motivation we need to keep going so that we can eventually cross the finish line too. There are so many things that Jesus can do for us to help us through our journey, but most importantly he wants us to know that there is something better. We just have to make sure we don't get so distracted by what's going on on the sidelines that we forget the reason we are here, to FINISH the race. When visiting a parish a few weeks ago the priest mentioned in his homily that he had seen a quote in someones home that said, "it's not about the destination, it's about the journey" and the priest went on to say that while it seems like a nice saying, for us as Christians it really IS about the destination.
I heard at work today about multiple deaths involving Black Friday shopping. It's easy to see how some have clearly lost sight of their destination, but its a good reminder for all of us to check our hearts. Am I focused in Jesus? Am I living for Him, knowing this world is only a blink of an eye to our eternity with God, or am I so wrapped up in making this world my home that I've forgotten I'm even running a race? I'm guilty many days of setting up camp and forgetting what it's all about. I am thankful for advent, for scriptures like today and most of all for death that reminds me what I am here for.
God, keep my heart focused on you. When I get off track, please pull me back, and continue to remind me often of my purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment