Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Are you ready to stop being asked "are you ready for Christmas?"

The title sounds so negative and I don't mean it that way at all. I know so many people, and I have been guilty myself, use this phrase as an icebreaker to start a conversation or make small talk. It's just that it always bothers me because what they are asking is "do you have all your pressents bought...is your tree up...baking done?" And of course anyone that knows me knows my answer to those questions until about Dec 23 is "um...no".  But what bothers me more than the reminder that I have so much left to do is the fact that being "ready" for Christmas means having all of the material things done. So early this week someone asked me if I was ready for Christmas and I decided to be honest and said "Yes, my heart is ready!"
This Christmas I am sure I will still be buying Christmas gifts on Dec 23 and I'm sure none of them will be as perfect as I hope they will be, but my heart will be ready for Christ to come. Our goal should be that every day we hope for his coming and we are ready. I was thinking all day about the "if today were your last day" concept. Jesus really does challenge us to live each day like it's our last. So, if today was your last day, is your heart ready to meet Him? Preparing our hearts doesn't just mean for the holiday, it means becoming so rooted in Christ that we are ready to meet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment