Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Think About These Things

Really quick read this morning: I don't know if you've been like me and being weighed down by both the fear that is being spread by all sectors of the media, our own fears for what is becoming of our country and our day to day living, and the internal struggle we have over what we are to do about it, but if so, I wanted to share my reflection this morning.

I just began reading the Discernment of Spirits by Timothy Gallagher and the very first thing he discusses is St. Ignatius's realization that when he thought about worldly things they left him feeling sad afterwards, but when he thought about the Godly things he realized he was being called to them because they left him happy and at peace long after thinking of them.
I  might have not been quickly to hop on to this line of thinking that seems, well, just a little too easy and simple for our complicated world! Except that I have experienced the same in my own discernment of things probably over many years of my life, but specifically just over the past few months and especially this past weekend. I think I have written already that when I read articles about the virus, about politics, and about church decisions, they create a great sadness in me, one that is hard to shake for a very long time. Anger, fear, all of these things are stirred from pretty much anything in the news right now. And those feelings don't spur me to action but instead seem to immobilize me. Thinking of those things seem to make it so that even the tasks in front of me like the dishes and the laundry and sweeping the floor and playing with my children are very daunting. 
But thinking about the work that God has tasked me to do, caring for my children and foster children, and the youth and people of my church, that brings me such joy and motivates me to action.  
Picking dandelions with my children leaves a joy that lasts for hours. 
Teaching them all the camp songs I had long forgotten brings laughter and memories that swell the heart.  Calling friends from my church and hearing the sound of their voices is like medicine to the soul. A text group of my college girlfriends has me giggling while cooking dinner. A game of kick ball, a puzzle completed, the chickens fed, the fence fixed, they all bring joy that encourages me and energizes me to do more. And talking about and writing about trusting God and him having us all in the palm of His hand leaves me peace that lasts all day. Just to say those words brings such peace doesn't it? I trust You, Lord. 
I would like this advice in Philippians to be written on my heart each day: 
"Rejoice in the Lord, always, again I will say, rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. do not worry about anything but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing the things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me and the God of peace will be with you." Phil 3:4-8
That's really all the advice we need right now. What might our world look like if we all did this? Our media would stop writing the way they do if we would stop clicking on and reading those articles. We would certainly treat each other more kindly if we had such peace in our hearts that we treated everyone with gentleness. We could share that peace if we would only stop worrying and trust God with our requests. What if we stopped tearing each other down but talking about what is good in each other? Even in our politicians? 
Let us as Christians change the world in this way today. Let us lead by example, that others might see the world crashing around us and our unfailing peace and ask how they may experience the same. Let us allow God to give us the gift of peace in a time of uncertainty. Simply, the freedom of what I choose to think about, is one that cannot be taken by any law or person or pandemic. I do think the devil is working hard at this time do control just exactly that, but the Holy Spirit will show you what things He wants you to think about and do by what brings you joy and peace. 
"Keep on doing the things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you."


1 comment:

  1. Very well said! God has given you a wonderful gift of sharing your heart! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete