Pages

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Do you not have Faith?

We just returned from vacation in Florida which was beautiful and sunny and quite different from the blizzard that we left and returned home to in Minnesota. But we were happy to come back and wrap our 2 year old Nathaniel in our arms. He got to spend time with our friends and their kids while we were gone and guess what: he loves having siblings. This is how our conversation went the day after we returned home.
N: Mom, is this my home?
A: Yes.
N: Why?
A: Because this is where we live.
N: Why? (you can see what stage he's at)
A: Because you and mommy and daddy live here.
N: Why?
A: Because we are a family.
N: Why?
A: Because God put us together and made us a family.
N: Mom, I want a bigger family.
A: Oh really? Well then you'll have to pray and ask God for more brothers and sisters.

Now, every prayer at bedtime, mealtime, etc starts with "Jesus, more brothers and sisters"

He is just so sweet, I'm thinking for sure God won't be able to say no to him :) but really, I already had a bad case of baby fever and now it's even worse! But honestly, it's just a reminder of my need to be patient and trusting, so those are the things I'm praying for. I know that God laid our family out before I was born and I know that he will bring our children to us exactly when it is right for our family. I KNOW that his plan will bring me so much more joy than anything I could dream up. But I just have to remind myself of that daily. The gospel today was the perfect reminder:

Gospel mk 4:35-41

On that day, as evening drew on, Jesus said to his disciples:
“Let us cross to the other side.”
Leaving the crowd, they took Jesus with them in the boat just as he was.
And other boats were with him.
A violent squall came up and waves were breaking over the boat,
so that it was already filling up.
Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a cushion.
They woke him and said to him,
“Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?”
He woke up,
rebuked the wind,
and said to the sea, “Quiet! Be still!”
The wind ceased and there was great calm.
Then he asked them, “Why are you terrified?
Do you not yet have faith?”
They were filled with great awe and said to one another,
“Who then is this whom even wind and sea obey?”
 
He is with us on this journey, even when the waves get big and we don't feel him present, he is there and there is never a need to worry. I know I need to just quit worrying and enjoy the ride, enjoy this time with our little family and listening to the direction He is calling us right now, instead of wishing for something different. Today, I'm praying for patience as I wait and also praying to live in the moment and enjoy every second without worrying about the future. I think I'll start by putting that quote on my bathroom mirror: "Do you not have faith?" Of course I do, so then of course there is no reason to worry, only reason to celebrate and be joyful while we wait. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment