Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I'll hold you in the beginning, you will hold me in the end.

Luke 21:5-11
"While some people were speaking about
how the temple was adorned with costly stones and votive offerings,
Jesus said, "All that you see here?
the days will come when there will not be left
a stone upon another stone that will not be thrown down."

Then they asked him,
"Teacher, when will this happen?
And what sign will there be when all these things are about to happen?"
He answered,
"See that you not be deceived,
for many will come in my name, saying,
'I am he,' and 'The time has come.'
Do not follow them!
When you hear of wars and insurrections,
do not be terrified; for such things must happen first,
but it will not immediately be the end."
Then he said to them,
"Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.
There will be powerful earthquakes, famines, and plagues
from place to place;
and awesome sights and mighty signs will come from the sky."
I love how Jesus tells us about these terrible things that are going to happen and then says “don’t be scared though...” Ok I’m paraphrasing a little but part of me is saying “what do you mean, don’t be terrified! Of course I’m going to be terrified!” If you are like me, you’re probably just holding out hope that you don’t have to live through the end of the world, it doesn’t sound like a lot of fun.  Even though I joke about it, I can always take comfort in the words of our Father who has told us many times “Do not be afraid”.  Even though we may be struggling with something as difficult as war or famine, (or maybe present day its a bad breakup, loss of a loved one or a fight with a family member) Jesus says "for such things must happen first." I know he doesn’t want us to have to experience those things, but he says “do not be terrified” because he knows he will be with us through it all, and he knows “it will not immediately be the end.” The road to the end can be difficult, but Christmas is all about celebrating that “Emmanuel” (which means ‘God with us’ by the way) is with us! He came Christmas morning and He’s been with us in the form of the Holy Spirit ever since. He’s here with us through all of the difficult stuff that we’re facing now, and will be there until the end, and that’s why he can say  “do not be terrified” and we can believe him.
I’m going to finish my prayer this morning by listening to the song “Be Born in Me” by Francesca Battistelli. It’s been my “theme song” for getting ready for Christmas this year. Specifically I think the line “I will hold you in the beginning, you will hold me in the end.” is perfect for today’s gospel.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Made me think of my sister as she faced death. Brings me comfort to know He was holding her in the end. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thanks for sharing! That brings a smile to my face.

      Delete