Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

I Shall Give You a Wisdom in Speaking

Luke 21:12-19
Jesus said to the crowd:
"They will seize and persecute you,
they will hand you over to the synagogues and to prisons,
and they will have you led before kings and governors
because of my name.
It will lead to your giving testimony.
Remember, you are not to prepare your defense beforehand,
for I myself shall give you a wisdom in speaking
that all your adversaries will be powerless to resist or refute.
You will even be handed over by parents,
brothers, relatives, and friends,
and they will put some of you to death.
You will be hated by all because of my name,
but not a hair on your head will be destroyed.
By your perseverance you will secure your lives."
Ok, I have to be honest: the first time reading through this my first thought was “I really hope the gospels for advent are a little more positive, I’m getting tired of all the negativity! I’d like to order some “Jesus loves you” verses please...But I remembered a quote by Mark Hart who said “I’m tired of the Jesus many moderns try to peddle – the “nice”, politically correct, inoffensive Jesus. We’re obviously not reading the same Gospels.” I am an optimist and one thing I know about myself is that there is fine line between optimism and unrealistic expectations. I always want things to be fun and happy, and while Jesus speaks of the joy waiting for us in heaven, he doesn’t sugarcoat the truth. He’s right. Being a Christian is hard! And we’re not even facing death penalties for it like the disciples and so many others who followed were.  As my faith has grown, I have had to leave some relationships behind, others have changed, and some have grown with me, but the truth is that we can’t live out the gospel and stay the same! And that’s a good thing!  But it’s still difficult for the people that we love who don’t understand. I love the advice “not to prepare your defense beforehand, for I myself shall give you a wisdom in speaking”. Just like the Mondays gospel, Jesus is realistic with us that this is going to be difficult ...BUT...He will give us what we need to make it through.
Father, as we start to gather with family and friends for the holidays, give me wisdom in speaking and in all my interactions. Let me be only an example of your love and peace, and not disheartened if I am not shown the same. I would like to take this time to pray for ______________, someone who challenges my Christian lifestyle or misunderstands my heart. Help me to continue to remember to lift that person up in prayer during advent. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment