Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Baby it's cold outside...and I'm loving it!


It’s so cold!!! 1 degree this morning. When I got out of the car tonight to rush inside I glanced at the stars and they caught me off guard. They were BEAUTIFUL!!! So clear and bright it felt like they were closer than they’d ever been. I stood there for a moment taking it in before I ran inside to get out of  cold. As I was running in, I thought how interesting that when the stars are the most beautiful we don’t notice because we are so focused on how cold it is and getting out of the cold. On the summer days, when we’re sitting out at the bonfire wishing and hoping for the stars, then we can’t see them as clearly and look back wishing we’d have enjoyed them when they were so clear in the winter. I see such a parallel with my faith life. I have found that in the “coldest” or most difficult moments of my life, I’ve been able to feel God’s presence more than ever. Often, He’s so close in those times but I’m so focused on the trial or struggle I’m going through I don’t take the time to appreciate the fact that I feel so close to him, I’m more worried about trying hard to get out of the difficult situation.  Then when life is going great and I’m praising him and want to feel that closeness, it’s still great, but just not as close as it was back then.  It’s a great reminder to me to quit focusing so much on the “cold” so I don’t miss out on the relationship God wants to have with me. There’s a great moment in the book The Shack where God tells him that he was there all along, and that maybe he couldn’t see his presence with him because he was so focused on his pain he couldn’t see anything else. 

God, thank you so much for the closeness we have shared, especially in some of the most difficult times in my life. I’m sorry if I didn’t appreciate them like I should have at the time, but I am so grateful for them. You have helped me through so much, I know I couldn’t do this life without you. Help me to continue to see you and to take the focus off of the “cold” and onto you. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment